Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction: Medical center in California
- 12 adult patients undergoing mastectomy with EXPAREL compared with 12 adult patients undergoing mastectomy with bupivacaine
- Prospective, randomized, single-blind trial
- Basic statistical analyses were performed and included pain scores, opioid consumption, benzodiazepine consumption, antiemetic consumption, LOS, and hospital costs
- No significant adverse events were noted in either group
Clinical and Economic Outcomes
In patients who received EXPAREL for analgesia
lower opioid consumption
during hospital stay*†
- 0.76 vs 1.43 MED/hour
- 22.6 vs 66.8 for entire LOS duration‡
hours shorter LOS
- 29.8 vs 46.7 hours
- $10,828 vs $18,632
*The clinical benefit of the decrease in opioid consumption was not demonstrated in the clinical trials.
†Opioid consumption was noted and converted to MED per hour of hospital stay.
‡Projected value calculated using study data for each respective cohort. The EXPAREL figure is based on 0.76 MED/hour and a 29.8-hour LOS. The bupivacaine figure is based on 1.43 MED/hour and a 46.7-hour LOS.
§The use of EXPAREL in combination with epinephrine is not part of the approved label.
LOS, length of stay; MED, morphine equivalent dosing.