Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS)-Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF)1: Medical center in Florida
- 38 adult patients treated with enhanced recovery protocol (ERP) after MIS TLIF were analyzed retrospectively and compared with 15 adult patients who underwent MIS TLIF before the implementation of ERP (N=53)
- All patients underwent standard MIS TLIF, but the control group did not receive all ERP components, including EXPAREL® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension)
- The overall rate of complications was lower in the ERP group (12% versus 21%)*
Clinical and Economic Outcomes
Patients who received ERP with EXPAREL to manage pain after surgery had
shorter length of
- 1.2 vs 3.9 days (P=0.009)
reduction in total cost for acute-care hospitalization†
- $19,212 vs $22,656 (P<0.001)
- 100% vs 86%
*The statistical significance of decreased complications was not evaluated.
†Areas of greatest savings included a reduction in intensive care unit costs, shorter overall LOS, and decreased costs from a reduced operating room duration.