Shoulder Arthroplasty: Hospital in Florida
- 55 patients undergoing SA who received a standardized multimodal pain management approach alone (n=24) or a standardized multimodal pain management approach with EXPAREL and dexamethasone (n=31)
- Retrospective cohort analysis
Clinical and Economic Outcomes
Patients who received EXPAREL and dexamethasone for analgesia had
Significantly less pain
on POD 1
for all PODs
reduction in LOS
- Single-injection interscalene block with 1000 mg of intravenous acetaminophen, 600 mg of oral gabapentin, 10 mg of oral oxycodone, and 200 mg of oral celecoxib
- Intravenous ketorolac and acetaminophen with oral gabapentin for 24 hours after surgery
- 5 mg and 10 mg of oxycodone for mild to moderate pain and 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg of intravenous hydromorphone for moderate to severe pain
SA WITH EXPAREL AND DEXAMETHASONE (n=31)
- Intravenous administration of 8 to 10 mg of dexamethasone and injection of 50 mL admixture of saline, 0.25% bupivacaine HCl with epinephrine, and EXPAREL. 20 mL of EXPAREL was diluted with 20 mL of saline and 10 mL of 0.25% bupivacaine HCl with epinephrine†
*The clinical benefit of the decrease in opioid consumption was not demonstrated in the clinical trials.
†The use of EXPAREL in combination with epinephrine is not part of the approved label.
POD, postoperative day; SA, shoulder arthroplasty; LOS, length of stay.